English | Français
Banner image

Common Questions

The following is a list of common questions and answers that new immigrants have before and after moving to Canada:

Questions about Immigrating and Moving

  • Is there a checklist or a tool that I can use to prepare for immigrating to Brantford•Brant Canada?
    Visit the “Before you Arrive” Section.

Questions about Work

  • Who are the top employers in Brantford•Brant?
    Visit the “Information About Working Here” Section.
  • How long will it take before I can find a job?
    Each case is different. As soon as you arrive in Canada begin looking for work by using job websites, employment agencies, and media. More information is available in the “Working” section.
  • Will my foreign credentials be recognized in Ontario/Brantford•Brant?
    Most likely yes, but you should contact the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials, or visit our “Having Your Credentials Recognized” section.

Questions about Education and Learning

  • How do I get more information about post-secondary education in Brantford•Brant?
    Visit the “College and University” Section.
  • Where do I find more information about English as a Second Language?
    Visit our section on “Adult Learning”.

Questions about Living in Brantford•Brant and Canada

  • Where do I find information about housing?
    Visit the City of Brantford’s website or access our section on “Housing”.
  • Where do I find childcare for my kids?
    There are many resources on childcare in our “Children” section, or you can visit the City of Brantford’s website.
  • As an immigrant, do I have to file a tax and benefit return?
    Yes you do. When you do, you may be eligible to obtain some government benefits. Visit our “Taxes” section for more information.
  • Where do I get more information about services offered by the governments of Canada and Ontario to newcomers?Information on services offer by the Government of Canada and Ontario can be found on their websites:

    Government of Canada
    Government of Ontario
  • Where can I get information about services on my language?Contact:
    YMCA-Immigrant Settlement Services of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford
    38 Darling St, Suite 201
    Brantford, ON N3T 6A8
    Phone number: 519-752-4568.
  • What do I do if I need medical care immediately?
    If you need immediate medical care, there are a lot of walk-in clinics, medical centres, and hospitals that you can visit. More information can be found in our “Health” section.
  • How do I find other immigrants from my country that are living in Brantford•Brant?
    There are different ethnic communities and groups in Brantford•Brant, and in some neighbouring cities such as London, Hamilton or Kitchener. To find more information visit our “Before you Arrive” section.
  • Who can I contact if I have other questions related to services for immigrants in Brantford•Brant?
    The best place that you can contact is:
    YMCA-Immigrant Settlement Services of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford
    38 Darling St, Suite 201
    Brantford, ON N3T 6A8
    Phone number: 519-752-4568.

Additional Resources for Questions

The Government of Ontario hasa list of questions frequently asked by immigrants. Check their website; they may help you to find the right answer for your questions.